You may seek support from your friends, family and relatives, neighbours, co-workers, acquaintances or others. Tell them what happened or is happening to you and ask them for help and assistance in procedures before relevant bodies.

Turn for help and advice to non-governmental organisations, especially if you do not have a confidential person who would listen to you. Their support and counselling are free of charge. NGOs can also arrange for a shelter, escort you to relevant agencies and provide other services.

In all violence-related procedures you have the right to legal counsel and the right to be assisted by a person of your choice.

silhouette of a woman afraid of an abusive partner

Extra protection from violence is provided to children and special care when considering violence and providing aid is intended for the elderly, the disabled and persons who are not capable of taking care of themselves.

You may propose to the court to enact measures provided for by the Domestic Violence Prevention Act. At your request, the court may, for instance, order the perpetrator as follows:

  • not to enter your residence,
  • to keep a certain distance away from your home,
  • to keep a certain distance away from places where you go regularly (your workplace, school, preschool facility, other places),
  • not to molest or interfere with you or your children (victims) in any way, including by way of the means of distance communication,
  • not to have any encounters with you or your children (victims),
  • to leave the residence in which you live (or lived) together.

quick exitYou can apply for free legal assistance in court. Your request will be dealt with as a matter of urgency and shall be given priority, the public will be excluded.

During court proceedings, you can propose other restrictions and measures, e.g.; prohibition to expose your children in the media, temporary arrangement of children's contact with both parents, prohibition to issue or serve personal identity documents to the other parent, etc.

Please inform other agencies handling your case of relevant court decisions (police, social work centre, state prosecutor's office).

Be cooperative in all further procedures. If you need additional information and explanations, please do not hesitate to contact the official persons dealing with your case (e.g. police officer, social worker).

cover of the leaflet Domestic violence - key information for victimsIf you are not happy with the work performed by the police officer handling your case, contact him and state your reasons for that. You may complain to his head instead. If you feel that the police officer violated your human rights or fundamental freedoms by an action or a failure to act, you can file a complaint against him/her within 45 days.

Related content

Domestic violence - police procedure
Personal safety